Saturday, April 21, 2018

Starry Skies Sewalong - My Scrappy Version!

My plan for the Starry Skies sewalong (actually my plan for ALL of the Modern Holiday sewalongs) is to use up as much of my stash as possible. Luckily, I had enough in my red, blue, and white fabric bins for the stars and diamonds on the quilt and only had to purchase fabric for the background. Always nice when that happens right?

(For anyone wondering, my background fabric is Essex Homespun Linen in Chambray by Robert Kaufman. You can buy it HERE!)


I really want an Americana/vintage/scrappy vibe for my Starry Skies quilt so I decided to change up the placement of the prints from the pattern and keep all of the points on my stars the same prints. I also decided to mix up my center squares so that each star block is different. In the pattern you make four sets of four different stars (photo of the quilt below), but, in my version, none of my star blocks will be the same. In the end, it'll look like I used a much larger variety of fabrics, but in reality, I'm only using four fat quarters of red prints and four fat quarters of blue prints.


And a photo of my first four blocks! Confession - I might have gotten so excited about making these blocks that I finished all 16 blocks in one day 😂🙈 In my defense, they are SO quick and SO fun to make. Basically, it was impossible to resist 😉 


The sewalong for Starry Skies starts on Monday the 23rd and it's still not too late to join! You can purchase the pattern HERE and sign up for the Starry Skies Weekly Newsletter HERE.

The Sew-Along will be casual and four weeks long. It will be hosted on Instagram using the #starryskiessewalong and #modernholidayquilts hashtags, and you'll receive weekly newsletters sharing what is in store for that week. Be sure to post your weekly photos of your progress using the above hashtags and you'll be put into the prize pool to win free long-arm quilting on your completed top by Kaitlyn of Knot & Thread.

SCHEDULE:
Lindsey's schedule noted in ( ). 

WEEK 1: Choose Fabric, Cut Fabric & Make 4 Star Blocks (or 16 whatever you want to do)

WEEK 2: Make 6 Star Blocks (pretend you made 6 that week)
WEEK 3: Make 6 Star Blocks (again more pretending)
WEEK 4: Make all Diamond Blocks and sew the top together! (Contemplate doing this between weeks 2 and 3, but wait until the very last minute of week four instead)
UPDATE! Here's how my Starry Skies quilt turned out! 




6 comments: